domingo, novembro 13, 2011

Dedication

Czeslaw Milosz (1911 - 2004)
Imagem daqui


You whom I could not save
Listen to me.
Try to understand this simple speech as I would be ashamed of another.
I swear, there is in me no wizardry of words.
I speak to you with silence like a cloud or a tree.

What strengthened me, for you was lethal.
You mixed up farewell to an epoch with the beginning of a new one,
Inspiration of hatred with lyrical beauty;
Blind force with accomplished shape.

Here is a valley of shallow Polish rivers. And an immense bridge
Going into white fog. Here is a broken city;
And the wind throws the screams of gulls on your grave
When I am talking with you.

What is poetry which does not save
Nations or people?
A connivance with official lies,
A song of drunkards whose throats will be cut in a moment,
Readings for sophomore girls.
That I wanted good poetry without knowing it,
That I discovered, late, its salutary aim,
In this and only this I find salvation.

They used to pour millet on graves or poppy seeds
To feed the dead who would come disguised as birds.
I put this book here for you, who once lived
So that you should visit us no more.


Warsaw, 1945

Czeslaw Milosz
The Collected Poems: 1931-1987

2 comentários:

ana salomé disse...

Como só consigo aceder a versões velhas do Reader que já não me permitem usar os likes e deslikes, venho directamente à fonte beber e dizer maravilhas.

Muito bom, menina. Boas escolhas, as usual.

Beijinho,
Ana

Joana disse...

Ana,


Pois é, o bom e velho reader acabou. :(


E sim, uma grande descoberta, este Milosz! :D


Jinhos.